Sharad Pawar slapped by youth in Delhi
New Delhi: In yet another instance of breach of security of VVIPs, Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar on Thursday was slapped by a youth.
The man, indentified as Harvinder Singh, attacked the Nationalist Congress Party chief when he was speaking to reporters after a function at the NDMC Centre in the heart of the capital.
Harvinder Singh, who is from Rohini, was present in the audience during the function organised by PSU company IFFCO, slapped Pawar on his face and tried to punch him.
Pawar composed himself and walked out with his posse of security.
Harvinder Singh is a serial offender. He had just few days back attacked former telecom minister Sukhram who was sentenced to prison in a corruption case. He was let off then as he is believed to be mentally deranged.
Immediately after he slapped Pawar, he was cornered by security persons and others present there but he took out a small knife from his pocket and started screaming, "I will kill, everybody is a thief.”
Singh is believed to be angry with the minister’s inability to tame rising inflation and check the spiralling prices of essential commodities.
He said that he is a supporter of Anna Hazare’s movement but he doesn’t believe in the Gandhian ways of the Lokpal crusader.
However, the episode had raised serious questions about the security cover provided to cabinet minister.
Harvinder was taken away by the police to Barakhamba Road police station for interrogation. Delhi police booked him under Section 323 (Causing hurt), 353 (Attack on public servant) and 506 (Criminal intimidation).
Later speaking to a new channel, Pawar played down the episode. He said that he had thought that he was pushed by someone amid the jostle by reporters and dismissed it.
NCP spokesperson DP Tripathi while condemning the incident said that the media should exercise restraint while covering such incidents.
Leaders from across the political spectrum have condemned the incident.
Congress, in the meanwhile, said the issue must be probed. Reacting to the incident, Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh said that incidents like this should not be given too much importance.
The BJP also condemned the incident, however, party leader SS Alhulwalia said in the Rajy Sabha, “The issue of price rise has become so grave today that now a youth has slapped the agriculture minister of the country!”
Congress leader Rashid Alvi slammed Alhuwalia’s statement and criticised him for trying to term an act of violence as people’s anger.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams