Sharad Pawar slapped by youth in Delhi
New Delhi: In yet another instance of breach of security of VVIPs, Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar on Thursday was slapped by a youth.
The man, indentified as Harvinder Singh, attacked the Nationalist Congress Party chief when he was speaking to reporters after a function at the NDMC Centre in the heart of the capital.
Harvinder Singh, who is from Rohini, was present in the audience during the function organised by PSU company IFFCO, slapped Pawar on his face and tried to punch him.
Pawar composed himself and walked out with his posse of security.
Harvinder Singh is a serial offender. He had just few days back attacked former telecom minister Sukhram who was sentenced to prison in a corruption case. He was let off then as he is believed to be mentally deranged.
Immediately after he slapped Pawar, he was cornered by security persons and others present there but he took out a small knife from his pocket and started screaming, "I will kill, everybody is a thief.”
Singh is believed to be angry with the minister’s inability to tame rising inflation and check the spiralling prices of essential commodities.
He said that he is a supporter of Anna Hazare’s movement but he doesn’t believe in the Gandhian ways of the Lokpal crusader.
However, the episode had raised serious questions about the security cover provided to cabinet minister.
Harvinder was taken away by the police to Barakhamba Road police station for interrogation. Delhi police booked him under Section 323 (Causing hurt), 353 (Attack on public servant) and 506 (Criminal intimidation).
Later speaking to a new channel, Pawar played down the episode. He said that he had thought that he was pushed by someone amid the jostle by reporters and dismissed it.
NCP spokesperson DP Tripathi while condemning the incident said that the media should exercise restraint while covering such incidents.
Leaders from across the political spectrum have condemned the incident.
Congress, in the meanwhile, said the issue must be probed. Reacting to the incident, Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh said that incidents like this should not be given too much importance.
The BJP also condemned the incident, however, party leader SS Alhulwalia said in the Rajy Sabha, “The issue of price rise has become so grave today that now a youth has slapped the agriculture minister of the country!”
Congress leader Rashid Alvi slammed Alhuwalia’s statement and criticised him for trying to term an act of violence as people’s anger.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened