`Sharad Pawar will be ready to become PM`
New Delhi: NCP chief Sharad Pawar will be certainly ready to become the Prime Minister if there is situation where there is a consensus on the issue, his party leader and Union Minister Praful Patel has said.
"And this gossip of merger with Congress, which happens many times, that is never possible," Patel said in an interview.
"If there is a situation where there is consensus on the issue, then why not Prabhuji, Sharad Pawarji will be certainly ready (to become Prime Minister)," he said, adding, "But I think to talk like this now is basically wrong."
Noting that Pawar will remain the president of NCP and that the reins of the party will be with him even if he did not contest elections, Patel said Pawar will be NCP`s candidate for the post of Prime Minister.
Asked if he was willing to work under Rahul Gandhi if UPA is in majority after the General Elections, Patel said, "Certainly”.
To a question that he and Pawar would both be willing to work under Rahul, the minister for heavy industries, said, "Who will take decisions (speaking of Congress-led UPA) is not the issue.”
"The government runs on the basis of the largest party, Congress is the largest party in UPA and it does not seem that in future they won`t be the largest party," Patel said.
He also said there is a similarity between NDA and UPA as far as foreign policy, economic policy are concerned. "This does not mean we are comparing NDA and UPA," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE:CM Fadnavis thanks people of Maharashtra for 'huge' victory as BJP clinches 81 seats; Shiv Sena 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway