Sharad Yadav attacks PM for I-Day address
New Delhi: JD-U president Sharad Yadav on Thursday hit out at Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for his Independence Day address blaming lack of political consensus for the slow growth and his promise to do everything to boost the economy through investments.
"Through his address the Prime Minister meant to say that the market is not opening up enough for investors due to lack of political consensus. I express my happiness that Congress does not have the full majority, otherwise they would have allowed FDI in retail sector and destroyed more than 22 crore people, who are engaged in this sector," he said.
Yadav, who is also NDA convenor, said the Prime Minister is "mainly concerned with FDI in retail".
"That he is concerned and sad about it is reflected from his statement. There has been only destruction in the last 20 years of open market (since liberalisation)," he said.
Noting that the Prime Minister has used his Independence Day speech for stressing on foreign direct investment in retail sector, Yadav made it clear that his party will oppose FDI in retail tooth and nail.
He said there is "nothing new worth mentioning" in the Prime Minister`s speech and that Singh has mentioned the "same problems as were mentioned by late Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru 65 years ago".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- NC delegation meets Rajnath Singh, demands ban on pellet guns use in J&K
- Cabinet gives nod to revised Indo-Cyprus DTAA
- AAP dares rebel leader Dharamvira Gandhi to resign as MP
- Deepika Padukone to join hands with Indian Psychiatric Society to promote mental health
- Injured Aaron Ramsey not in Chris Coleman's Wales squad