Sharad Yadav backs Pawan Kumar Bansal
New Delhi: Beleaguered Railway Minister PK Bansal on Saturday received support from unexpected quarters when NDA convenor and JD(U) president Sharad Yadav virtually absolved the Congress leader of any fault in a bribery case involving his nephew.
"If any relative of a political leader is involved in corruption then what is the fault of that leader. I have known Pawan Bansal for a long time. He has been in Parliament for a long time. What has he to do with anything if his nephew is taking bribe," Yadav told reporters here.
He was asked to comment on Bansal`s nephew Vijay Singla being arrested by the CBI in connection with alleged bribery of Rs 90 lakh for fixing a top level position in the government.
Singla was arrested in Chandigarh for allegedly accepting Rs 90 lakh in cash from Manjunath, the conduit of Mahesh Kumar, recently promoted as Member (Staff), Railway Board. Kumar was allegedly trying to get a lucrative position as Member (Electrical), Railway Board.
Asked whether Bansal should resign, Yadav said: "How do you plan to run this country then. As a political leader Bansal must be meeting a lot of people, can he check the credentials of everyone."
Yadav, who is the convenor of the Opposition alliance NDA, said that if CBI wishes it can question Bansal over this matter.
"The person who gave bribe and the one who accepted it both have been arrested," Yadav said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof