Sharad Yadav backs Pawan Kumar Bansal
New Delhi: Beleaguered Railway Minister PK Bansal on Saturday received support from unexpected quarters when NDA convenor and JD(U) president Sharad Yadav virtually absolved the Congress leader of any fault in a bribery case involving his nephew.
"If any relative of a political leader is involved in corruption then what is the fault of that leader. I have known Pawan Bansal for a long time. He has been in Parliament for a long time. What has he to do with anything if his nephew is taking bribe," Yadav told reporters here.
He was asked to comment on Bansal`s nephew Vijay Singla being arrested by the CBI in connection with alleged bribery of Rs 90 lakh for fixing a top level position in the government.
Singla was arrested in Chandigarh for allegedly accepting Rs 90 lakh in cash from Manjunath, the conduit of Mahesh Kumar, recently promoted as Member (Staff), Railway Board. Kumar was allegedly trying to get a lucrative position as Member (Electrical), Railway Board.
Asked whether Bansal should resign, Yadav said: "How do you plan to run this country then. As a political leader Bansal must be meeting a lot of people, can he check the credentials of everyone."
Yadav, who is the convenor of the Opposition alliance NDA, said that if CBI wishes it can question Bansal over this matter.
"The person who gave bribe and the one who accepted it both have been arrested," Yadav said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren