Sharad Yadav demands stern action against Asaram supporters
New Delhi: JD-U President Sharad Yadav on Monday demanded "stern action" against supporters of Asaram Bapu for "obstructing the course of law" as they came into the streets protesting against his arrest.
"Those who are obstructing the course of law should be sternly dealt with. They are misusing their democratic rights to protest. Democratic rights are not given for masquerading in favour a rape accused," Yadav told.
He said the protesters are not coming forward to fight for any social cause.
"If they are trying to put obstructions, the administration should deal with them sternly. What they are doing is unlawful. Nobody can be allowed to take law into their hands," the JD-U chief said.
Earlier in the day, Yadav had said, "I wanted Asaram to surrender to the law. It has happened."
He also appreciated media`s role for taking up the Asaram issue.
"Media raised the issue and in the process mediamen were attacked by Asaram supporters repeatedly. But despite that media continued to raise the issue. Media`s role is commendable and I welcome it," he said.
Scores of supporters of Asaram Bapu staged a protest at Jantar Mantar here demanding his immediate release.
According to the police, a large group of followers of Asaram marched towards the Parliament Street police station and courted arrest.
Protests were also reported from Maharashtra and some other states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?