Sharad Yadav demands stern action against Asaram supporters
New Delhi: JD-U President Sharad Yadav on Monday demanded "stern action" against supporters of Asaram Bapu for "obstructing the course of law" as they came into the streets protesting against his arrest.
"Those who are obstructing the course of law should be sternly dealt with. They are misusing their democratic rights to protest. Democratic rights are not given for masquerading in favour a rape accused," Yadav told.
He said the protesters are not coming forward to fight for any social cause.
"If they are trying to put obstructions, the administration should deal with them sternly. What they are doing is unlawful. Nobody can be allowed to take law into their hands," the JD-U chief said.
Earlier in the day, Yadav had said, "I wanted Asaram to surrender to the law. It has happened."
He also appreciated media`s role for taking up the Asaram issue.
"Media raised the issue and in the process mediamen were attacked by Asaram supporters repeatedly. But despite that media continued to raise the issue. Media`s role is commendable and I welcome it," he said.
Scores of supporters of Asaram Bapu staged a protest at Jantar Mantar here demanding his immediate release.
According to the police, a large group of followers of Asaram marched towards the Parliament Street police station and courted arrest.
Protests were also reported from Maharashtra and some other states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price