Sharad Yadav taken into preventive custody by UP police
Ghaziabad: JD(U) president Sharad Yadav on Monday night said he was taken into preventive custody by the Uttar Pradesh Police at Ghaziabad when he was on his way to Allahabad to participate in a meeting on reservation issue.
Yadav said he had left New Delhi by Duronto Express.
The Ghaziabad police had already intimated him that he would not be allowed to reach Allahabad and would be detained at Ghaziabad itself, Yadav said.
He was taken to a state administration guest house from the Ghaziabad station, Yadav told a news agency.
However, there was no word from Ghaziabad police on the incident.
The JD(U) leader said he was surprised at the state administrations` decision to detain him as it was a normal programme by some social groups which he was going to attend in Allahabad.
JD(U) general secretary Javed Raza said that Yadav was going to participate in an all-India level programme on the issue of reservation in Allahabad`s KP College organised by Samajik Nyay Morcha, which is a group of pro-reservation students.
The detention of Sharad Yadav came a day after violence had broken out in Allahabad yesterday during a protest against the new reservation policy by UP Public Service Commission as youths went on a rampage pelting policemen with stones, vandalising dozens of vehicles and shops and raising slogans against the Commission and the state government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’