Sharad Yadav to arrive in Patna tomorrow to decide fate of NDA
Patna: JD(U)`s formal split with the NDA seems imminent as its president Sharad Yadav arrives here on Saturday for a crucial meeting with party legislators to discuss the issue, amidst reports that BJP MLAs are being poached by the party to cobble up a majority.
"Sharad Yadav ji is coming to Patna tomorrow morning," Bihar JD(U) president Bashist Narayan Singh said. Chief Minister Nitish Kumar would also be back here tonight from his Katihar "Sewa Yatra".
The Bihar JD(U) chief said that the timing and venue of the `discussion` over the situation arising from Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s appointment as the chairman of the BJP`s campaign committee chief for 2014 Lok Sabha polls would be decided later.
Unconfirmed reports have surfaced here that Nitish Kumar`s party are making efforts to wean away a section of BJP MLAs to get the required numbers for continuation of the government minus the BJP.
The reports were dismissed by both JD(U) and BJP leaders as mere "kite flying".
"We require support of just four MLAs for running the government minus BJP. So why will we do all these things (poaching BJP legislators)," state JD(U) spokesman Rajiv Ranjan said.
State NDA convenor and senior BJP minister Nand Kishore Yadav said, "It is absolutely not possible."
"Is it possible to ferret away such a large number of MLAs from BJP to escape anti-defection law?" Yadav wondered.
BJP has 91 members in the current 243-member Assembly.
BJP leaders would be meeting at the residence of Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi at 3 pm today to review the political situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS