Sharjah court waives death penalty for 8 Indians
Dubai: A Sharjah court has waived the death sentence awarded to eight Indian youths for the murder of a Pakistani national after a Dubai-based Indian hotelier paid blood money to the family of the victim on their behalf.
The murder took place on July 11, 2009 following which 10 men, eight Indians -- all from Pubjab -- and two Pakistanis, were arrested.
The death penalty of two Pakistanis have also been waived off after Dubai-based hotelier SP Singh Oberoi paid
"Death penalty has been waived off for all the 10
accused, eight Indians and two Pakistanis. They have to serve
three years of imprisonment of which they have already
completed 21 months. So they will be free in another six
months and will be deported directly to their home countries,"
Oberoi told PTI following the verdict yesterday.
Several such cases involving Punjabi youths embroiled
in bootlegging turf battle have come to light in recent times.
The latest case involved murder of Pakistani national
Mumtaz Yousuf, who hailed from Faislabad.
The Indians who were arrested are: Kuldip Singh,
Sachin Kumar Sharma, Rakesh Kumar, Sukhpal Singh, Hardev
Singh, Charanjeet, Amarjeet Singh and Rashwinder Pal.
Oberoi said that on November 24, 2009 he, alongside the victim`s father, appeared in court and registered a compromise statement.
"The honorable Judge accepted our request and on
February 1 this year I paid the blood money to Mohd Yousuf in
court in the presence of the jury. I submitted the required
documents in the court on February 6 following which the case
was closed and February 28 was fixed as the judgment date.
However, this date was then postponed to March 27 (Sunday)
when the verdict was finally delivered," he said.
The Pakistanis who will be released include Mohammed
Ansar Chaudhary and Shahid Hussain Ifthreen Rana from Multan
Oberoi said there are several such cases pending and
involves over 60 young men from Punjab.
This case is, however, different from the case involving 17 Indians who were convicted of murder and have
filed an appeal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Skincare tips for men to get rid of pimples
- Look who's dining together? Navya SPOTTED with Aryan Khan!
- Watch: Mars makes its closest approach to Earth in 11 years today!
- 27 flights diverted as bad weather triggers chaos in Delhi Airport
- CHSE Odisha 12th (+2) Arts and Commerce Result 2016 is expected to be declared today on 30th May - Check orissaresults.nic.in and chseodisha.nic.in