Shashi Kapoor, Montek Singh conferred Padma awards
New Delhi: India`s first woman photographer
Homai Vyarawalla, tribal artist Jivya Soma Mhase, yesteryear
actor Shashi Kapoor, Chhau dance exponent Makar Dhwaj Darogha
and Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia
were among those who were conferred the Padma awards on Friday.
President Pratibha Patil gave away the awards at a
function at the Rashtrapati Bhawan here which was attended by
Vice President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh,
several union ministers and a host of dignitaries.
Ahluwalia, Vyarawalla, economist Vijay Kelkar, noted
Odiya poet Sitakant Mahapatra, eminent jurist K Parasaran,
Wipro Chairman Azim Premji, Telugu actor A Nageshwara Rao and
eminent metallurgist P Rama Rao were among those who were
honoured with the Padma Vibhushan.
Theatre artist Satyadev Dubey, Shashi Kapoor, noted
painters Krishen Khanna and Arpita Singh, legendary Rabindra
Sangeet exponent Dwijen Mukherjee, philanthropist Rajashree
Birla, Infosys CEO S Gopalakrishnan, ICICI CEO Chanda Kochhar,
Chairman of Dr Reddy`s Labs K Anji Reddy, NIIT founder
Chairman Rajendra Singh Pawar, HCL co-founder Ajai Chowdhary,
former Foreign Secretary Shyam Saran, journalist and author T
J S George and educationist Ramdas Madhava Pai were decorated
with the Padma Bhushan.
Renowned designer Dashrath Patel and eminent cardiologist
Keki Byramjee Grant were awarded the Padma Bhushan
Patel`s sister Snehlata Desai and Grant`s son Pervez
Grant received the award from the President.
The Padma Shri awardees were Makar Dhwaja Darogha,
filmaker Girish Kasaravalli, Warli painter Jivya Soma Mhase,
Kathak exponent Sunayana Hazarilal, carnatic vocalist S R
Janakiraman, Mohiniyattam exponent Kshemavathy Pavithran,
singer Usha Uthup, actors Kajol and Irfan Khan.
Social workers Sheela Patel, Anita Reddy and Kanubhai
Hasmukhbhai Tailor, architects C N Raghavendran and Gopalan
Nair Shankar, scientist turned activist Suman Sahai,
agriculture scientist E A Siddiq, entrepreneur Kailasam
Raghavendra Rao, the trainer of anti-naxal force Greyhounds
Narayan Singh Bhati, shooter Gagan Narang, athlete Krishna
Poonia, mountaineer Harbhajan Singh, endocrinologist
Sivapatham Vittal, gastroenterologist Madanur Ahmed Ali and
neurosurgeon A Marthanda Pillai also received the Padma Shri.
Mahim Bora, Pullella Srirama Chandrudu, Barun Mazumder,
Avvai Natarajan, Buangi Sailo, Devi Dutt Sharma, Nilamber Dev
Sharma, Krishna Kumar, Deviprasad Dwivedi and Mamang Dai
received the Padma Shri in the Literature and Education
Heritage conservationist Om Prakash Agrawal and National
Science Foundation Director Subra Suresh were among the Padma
The other Padma Shri recepients were Gulshan Nanda
(handicrafts promotion), Upendra Baxi (Public Affairs), Martha
Chen (social work) and Peruvanam Kuttan Marar (Art).
Granville Austin and Devanooru Mahadeva received the
Padma Shri but were not present for the function.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’