Shashi Tharoor taunts Narendra Modi on RSS link
New Delhi: Reacting sharply to Narendra Modi`s "burqa of secularism" jibe at Congress, Union Minister Shashi Tharoor on Monday lashed out the one time RSS pracharak saying it was preferable to khaki shorts of fascists.
"Secularism burqa in my view is preferable to the khaki shorts of the Italian fascists of the 1920s. Shorts which signify intolerance and hatred, which he is not trying to hide. He was a RSS pracharak," he said.
Tharoor who is a known baiter of the Sangh Parivaar said the burqa represents the belief of a certain faith but the Khaki shorts represented intolerance to other communities.
"One may represent a particular attitude to a certain faith, the other represents hatred and intolerance of other communities and belief systems. That is what is wrong," he said at a function here organised by FICCI here.
Modi had yesterday charged Congress with wearing the "burqa (veil) of secularism" to hide from its failures.
He had also underlined the deficiencies in the country`s education system and research output.
Tharoor, who is the Minister of state of HRD, however, supported Modi`s contention that none of the Indian universities found a place among the top 200 in the world but at the same time blamed the Opposition for stalling key legislations in Parliament related to reforms in higher education.
The Minister dismissed Modi`s other argument that the research base in the country was of little use saying global giants have larger research activities in India than their own countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami - Tithi, Muhurt and Vidhi