Shashi Tharoor wants new rape law to be named after Delhi gang-rape victim
New Delhi: In order to keep the identity secret of the 23-year old girl who was brutally raped in the national capital, ‘Delhi’s braveheart’ has been called by various names – ‘Damini’, ‘Nirbhaya’, ‘Amanat’. But Minister of State for Human Resource Development, Shashi Tharoor wants the new rape laws to be named after the para-medical student and has questioned the decision to keep the name of the rape victim a secret.
Tharoor tweeted on Tuesday, "Wondering what interest is served by continuing anonymity of #DelhiGangRape victim. Why not name & honour her as a real person w/own identity?"
He also tweeted - "Unless her parents object, she should be honoured & the revised anti-rape law named after her. She was a human being w/a name, not just a symbol.”
Tharoor has been known to speak his mind and has courted controversy before over his ‘cattle class’ remarks.
Under the law, the identity of a rape victim cannot be disclosed and printing or publishing the name or any matter which may make known the identity of any person against whom rape is committed is an offence under section 228-A of Indian Penal Code.
His comments also came close on the heels of Delhi Police registering a case against English daily for publishing material which could lead to the identification of the victim.
Tharoor`s comments sparked instant reactions on Twitter with people supporting and questioning his suggestions.
The girl was gang-raped and viciously assaulted allegedly by six persons in a moving bus in South Delhi on December 16. She died in a Singapore hospital on December 29.
The aftermath of the gang-rape has seen an unprecedented uproar in the country with people protesting for a stricter laws for women.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly