Shashi Tharoor will not attend Zee Jaipur Literature Festival
Jaipur: Union minister Shashi Tharoor, who was slated to attend the Jaipur Literature Festival on Saturday, will not attend the event following his wife`s death.
Pushkar, who was upset over an alleged extra-marital affair between Tharoor and a Pakistani journalist, was found dead in a room in the Leela Palace hotel yesterday.
Pushkar and Tharoor were at the centre of a raging controversy in the last few days when reports emerged that she was upset over reported text and tweet messages between her husband and Mehr Tarar, the Pakistani journalist.
"It is sad but Tharoor won`t be able to attend the festival today," festival producer Sanjay Roy said.
Tharoor was scheduled to participate in a session titled `The paradoxes of development and growth` under the ongoing `Democracy dialogues` series at the festival.
He was to also launch a book titled `Travails with Chachi` written by Salman Khurshid`s wife, Louis Khurshid.
Tharoor was also sated to inaugurate the prize ceremony for the USD 50,000 DSC prize for South Asian Literature.
"Book launch would be done by someone else now. We were at a musical evening when we got the sad news. Its sad," Roy said.
In his last Twitter post yesterday the Union Minister had also said that he would not have been able to attend the Festival due to illness of his wife Sunanda Pushkar.
"My wife`s illness means i need to be with her & will miss all 5 events of #JaipurLitFest 2014."
This was the last tweet posted by the Union Minister last evening before her death later at night.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!