Shatrughan Sinha backs ‘Godfather’ Advani as PM
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Bollywood actor turned BJP politician Shatrughan Sinha on Tuesday opened a new front against Narendra Modi by demanding that LK Advani must be at the helm of affairs in the party.
A known supporter of BJP veteran LK Advani, Sinha slammed the new BJP poll campaign committee and rued that senior leaders like Sushma Swaraj and Yashwant Sinha are being overlooked in the party.
On the chances of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi being anointed as BJP`s prime ministerial candidate, Sinha said the decision on the issue would be taken by the parliamentary board, BJP’s highest decision making body.
Sinha, who had served as a minister in AB Vajpayee cabinet, said that Modi might have emerged as very popular but LK Advani, being the senior most, must lead the party.
“There could be no better person than Advani as he is the one who has contributed the maximum for the BJP...he should not be sidelined,” Sinha said.
“Narendra Modi, though is very popular, he is a friend, if he is projected as prime ministerial candidate after the parliamentary board meeting it would great but our view is that Advani must be at the helm of affairs,” he stressed.
“Vaypayee ji is the father and Advani ji is the Godfather of Indian politics,” he said.
The opposition was quick to latch on his comments.
“Shatrughan Sinha is a senior leader. His comments show that there is still unacceptance against Modi in the party,” Congress leader Jagdambika Pal said.
“We already knew there will be obstacles in Modi`s road to PM candidature. Now Shatrughan Sinha has rightly spoken,” KC Tyagi of the JD(U) said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued