Shatrughan Sinha backs ‘Godfather’ Advani as PM
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Bollywood actor turned BJP politician Shatrughan Sinha on Tuesday opened a new front against Narendra Modi by demanding that LK Advani must be at the helm of affairs in the party.
A known supporter of BJP veteran LK Advani, Sinha slammed the new BJP poll campaign committee and rued that senior leaders like Sushma Swaraj and Yashwant Sinha are being overlooked in the party.
On the chances of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi being anointed as BJP`s prime ministerial candidate, Sinha said the decision on the issue would be taken by the parliamentary board, BJP’s highest decision making body.
Sinha, who had served as a minister in AB Vajpayee cabinet, said that Modi might have emerged as very popular but LK Advani, being the senior most, must lead the party.
“There could be no better person than Advani as he is the one who has contributed the maximum for the BJP...he should not be sidelined,” Sinha said.
“Narendra Modi, though is very popular, he is a friend, if he is projected as prime ministerial candidate after the parliamentary board meeting it would great but our view is that Advani must be at the helm of affairs,” he stressed.
“Vaypayee ji is the father and Advani ji is the Godfather of Indian politics,” he said.
The opposition was quick to latch on his comments.
“Shatrughan Sinha is a senior leader. His comments show that there is still unacceptance against Modi in the party,” Congress leader Jagdambika Pal said.
“We already knew there will be obstacles in Modi`s road to PM candidature. Now Shatrughan Sinha has rightly spoken,” KC Tyagi of the JD(U) said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues