Shatrughan takes a swipe at Amitabh over row with Congress
New Delhi: Notwithstanding his party`s
open support to Amitabh Bachchan on the row with the Congress,
BJP leader Shatrughan Sinha on Tuesday took a swipe at him saying
an artiste should be above controversy and it does not suit
Bachchan to promote any and every brand.
The actor turned politician also questioned Bachchan`s
repeated assertion that he was apolitical, saying "it is hard
for people to believe since they have seen him walking
hand-in-hand with Samajwadi party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav
and Amar Singh".
"As an artiste one should try to stay above
controversy," Sinha said while commenting on the row over
a section of Congress objecting to Bachchan`s presence at a
government function in Mumbai, which was also attended by
Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan.
Sinha, who is apparently not on good terms with
Bachchan despite the two working together in many a box office
hits like Dostana, Kala Pathar, Shaan and Naseeb, said "it is
not a national duty of Amitabh Bachchan to propagate and
promote, become brand ambassador right from digestive pill to
hair oil or opening Bandra-Worli Sea Link.
"I would like to say that Amitabh Bachchan is too big
a personality. It does not suit him to bend down at this stage
of career to propagate any and every brand."
While Narendra Modi has made Bachchan brand
ambassador of Gujarat, party leaders like Vijay Kumar Malhotra
and Uttrakhand Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank have
publically eulogised him.
Sinha took a swipe at the Congress too, saying "do they
(Congress leaders) consider him a future threat to their
`yuvraj` (prince)?", a reference to Rahul Gandhi.
Sinha said he would like Bachchan to come to Bihar.
"I invite Amitabh Bachchan to join me in the publicity
of historically important places like Nalanda, Rajgir,
Pawapuri and Gaya in Bihar," Sinha, who is BJP Lok Sabha
member from Patna Saheb, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why