Shatrughan takes a swipe at Amitabh over row with Congress
New Delhi: Notwithstanding his party`s
open support to Amitabh Bachchan on the row with the Congress,
BJP leader Shatrughan Sinha on Tuesday took a swipe at him saying
an artiste should be above controversy and it does not suit
Bachchan to promote any and every brand.
The actor turned politician also questioned Bachchan`s
repeated assertion that he was apolitical, saying "it is hard
for people to believe since they have seen him walking
hand-in-hand with Samajwadi party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav
and Amar Singh".
"As an artiste one should try to stay above
controversy," Sinha said while commenting on the row over
a section of Congress objecting to Bachchan`s presence at a
government function in Mumbai, which was also attended by
Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan.
Sinha, who is apparently not on good terms with
Bachchan despite the two working together in many a box office
hits like Dostana, Kala Pathar, Shaan and Naseeb, said "it is
not a national duty of Amitabh Bachchan to propagate and
promote, become brand ambassador right from digestive pill to
hair oil or opening Bandra-Worli Sea Link.
"I would like to say that Amitabh Bachchan is too big
a personality. It does not suit him to bend down at this stage
of career to propagate any and every brand."
While Narendra Modi has made Bachchan brand
ambassador of Gujarat, party leaders like Vijay Kumar Malhotra
and Uttrakhand Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank have
publically eulogised him.
Sinha took a swipe at the Congress too, saying "do they
(Congress leaders) consider him a future threat to their
`yuvraj` (prince)?", a reference to Rahul Gandhi.
Sinha said he would like Bachchan to come to Bihar.
"I invite Amitabh Bachchan to join me in the publicity
of historically important places like Nalanda, Rajgir,
Pawapuri and Gaya in Bihar," Sinha, who is BJP Lok Sabha
member from Patna Saheb, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30