Shatrughan takes a swipe at Amitabh over row with Congress
New Delhi: Notwithstanding his party`s
open support to Amitabh Bachchan on the row with the Congress,
BJP leader Shatrughan Sinha on Tuesday took a swipe at him saying
an artiste should be above controversy and it does not suit
Bachchan to promote any and every brand.
The actor turned politician also questioned Bachchan`s
repeated assertion that he was apolitical, saying "it is hard
for people to believe since they have seen him walking
hand-in-hand with Samajwadi party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav
and Amar Singh".
"As an artiste one should try to stay above
controversy," Sinha said while commenting on the row over
a section of Congress objecting to Bachchan`s presence at a
government function in Mumbai, which was also attended by
Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan.
Sinha, who is apparently not on good terms with
Bachchan despite the two working together in many a box office
hits like Dostana, Kala Pathar, Shaan and Naseeb, said "it is
not a national duty of Amitabh Bachchan to propagate and
promote, become brand ambassador right from digestive pill to
hair oil or opening Bandra-Worli Sea Link.
"I would like to say that Amitabh Bachchan is too big
a personality. It does not suit him to bend down at this stage
of career to propagate any and every brand."
While Narendra Modi has made Bachchan brand
ambassador of Gujarat, party leaders like Vijay Kumar Malhotra
and Uttrakhand Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank have
publically eulogised him.
Sinha took a swipe at the Congress too, saying "do they
(Congress leaders) consider him a future threat to their
`yuvraj` (prince)?", a reference to Rahul Gandhi.
Sinha said he would like Bachchan to come to Bihar.
"I invite Amitabh Bachchan to join me in the publicity
of historically important places like Nalanda, Rajgir,
Pawapuri and Gaya in Bihar," Sinha, who is BJP Lok Sabha
member from Patna Saheb, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar
- British politics in turmoil as Brexit talks loom