Shattered family waits for co-pilot`s body
Jaipur: The distraught father of Mahendra Singh Rathore, co-pilot of a plane which crashed in Nigeria, today asked the Union government to step up diplomatic efforts in bringing his son`s body to India at the earliest.
Hailing from Bikaner city, 34-year-old Mahendra was the co-pilot of the passenger plane, belonging to Dana Air, which slammed into a residential area in Lagos killing him and over 150 people on board and 40 on the ground on June three.
"We are informed that the body will be handed over to us after identification through DNA test and it may take another four-five days," I S Rathore, father of Mahendra, told PTI.
"The government should ask the authorities in Lagos to complete all formalities as early as possible," he said.
"It is a difficult time for us and we are unable to console ourself," a devastated Rathore said.
Mahendra is survived by his wife and a seven-year-old son.
The entire family is settled in Kolkata but after the horrific air tragedy they are in Bikaner now waiting for the body.
The funeral will take place in Bikaner.
My son had promised that he will celebrate his 35th birthday in Bikaner in July but now all is over," said Rathore, General Manager of a company in Kolkata.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah