Sheikh Hasina`s son`s trek down memory lane
New Delhi: As Bangladesh celebrated the
92nd birth anniversary of its founding father Sheikh Mujibur
Rahman today, it was a emotional trek down memory lane for
Sajeeb Wajed Joy, son of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, who
said he is astonished how and his mother escaped the coup that
wiped out almost the entire Rahman family.
Sheikh Mujib and several of his family members were
killed in the military coup on the night of August 14, 1975,
at their residence in central Dhaka.
"I was a boy of four at that time and I used to cry
frequently wanting to meet my father (Wajed Mian, a nuclear
scientist) who was in Germany for his thesis at that time. It
was because I used to cry to meet my father that my mother
took me to Germany about a fortnight before the coup. And that
was how we escaped", said Joy.
"I`m still astonished how we are still alive", he added.
Hasina`s son, who was here to take part in a conclave,
attended the commemorative function for his grandfather at the
Bangladesh High Commission.
Addressing the function, Bangladesh`s High Commissioner
to India, Tariq A Karim the assassination of Bangabandhu
Sheikh Mujibur Rahman was a "huge blow on Bangladesh" but the
"plotters" had "miscalculated" and that was how two of Mujib`s
two daughters Sheikh Hasina and Sheikh Rehana survived the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Fed leaves rates unchanged but says US economy improving
- French church attackers pledged allegiance to ISIS in video
- Stick to my statement that Salman Khan killed Chinkara, says 'missing' driver
- Eye on China? India to buy four P-8I aircraft from US for maritime surveillance over Indian Ocean Region
- Terrorist captured in J&K's Kupwara district is Pakistani national from Lahore: Report