Sheikh Hasina`s son`s trek down memory lane
New Delhi: As Bangladesh celebrated the
92nd birth anniversary of its founding father Sheikh Mujibur
Rahman today, it was a emotional trek down memory lane for
Sajeeb Wajed Joy, son of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, who
said he is astonished how and his mother escaped the coup that
wiped out almost the entire Rahman family.
Sheikh Mujib and several of his family members were
killed in the military coup on the night of August 14, 1975,
at their residence in central Dhaka.
"I was a boy of four at that time and I used to cry
frequently wanting to meet my father (Wajed Mian, a nuclear
scientist) who was in Germany for his thesis at that time. It
was because I used to cry to meet my father that my mother
took me to Germany about a fortnight before the coup. And that
was how we escaped", said Joy.
"I`m still astonished how we are still alive", he added.
Hasina`s son, who was here to take part in a conclave,
attended the commemorative function for his grandfather at the
Bangladesh High Commission.
Addressing the function, Bangladesh`s High Commissioner
to India, Tariq A Karim the assassination of Bangabandhu
Sheikh Mujibur Rahman was a "huge blow on Bangladesh" but the
"plotters" had "miscalculated" and that was how two of Mujib`s
two daughters Sheikh Hasina and Sheikh Rehana survived the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes