Sheikh Hasina`s son`s trek down memory lane
New Delhi: As Bangladesh celebrated the
92nd birth anniversary of its founding father Sheikh Mujibur
Rahman today, it was a emotional trek down memory lane for
Sajeeb Wajed Joy, son of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, who
said he is astonished how and his mother escaped the coup that
wiped out almost the entire Rahman family.
Sheikh Mujib and several of his family members were
killed in the military coup on the night of August 14, 1975,
at their residence in central Dhaka.
"I was a boy of four at that time and I used to cry
frequently wanting to meet my father (Wajed Mian, a nuclear
scientist) who was in Germany for his thesis at that time. It
was because I used to cry to meet my father that my mother
took me to Germany about a fortnight before the coup. And that
was how we escaped", said Joy.
"I`m still astonished how we are still alive", he added.
Hasina`s son, who was here to take part in a conclave,
attended the commemorative function for his grandfather at the
Bangladesh High Commission.
Addressing the function, Bangladesh`s High Commissioner
to India, Tariq A Karim the assassination of Bangabandhu
Sheikh Mujibur Rahman was a "huge blow on Bangladesh" but the
"plotters" had "miscalculated" and that was how two of Mujib`s
two daughters Sheikh Hasina and Sheikh Rehana survived the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Gujarat ATS arrest two people for planning a bomb blast in Rajkot's Chotila temple
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter