Sheila Dikshit wants Rahul Gandhi as PM
New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit Thursday backed Rahul Gandhi as the party`s prime ministerial candidate in 2014, saying that he will have to be convinced to occupy the post.
"We want Rahul Gandhi to become the prime minister. He will not choose to be the one, but we will have to make him the prime minister," Dikshit said here addressing partymen.
The chief minister said United Progressive Alliance chairperson Sonia Gandhi`s decision of not taking up the prime minister`s job in 2009 will not go in vain.
Congress members will have to "bury all differences" and come together to ensure that party vice president Rahul Gandhi becomes the next prime minister, Dikshit said.
"It is our duty to bury all differences (within the party) and make sure that he (Rahul Gandhi) becomes the PM of India...he is working very hard," Dikshit said while addressing party workers at Delhi Pradesh Congress Committee (DPCC).
Congress general secretaries - Shakeel Ahmed and Janardan Dwivedi - along with DPCC chief J.P. Agarwal shared the dais with Dikshit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family