Shekhar Sinha resigns after junior Robin Dhowan takes over as Navy Chief
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Western Navy Command chief Vice Admiral Shekhar Sinha on Thursday put in his papers seeking voluntary retirement after his junior Admiral RK Dhowan superseded him to take over as Navy chief.
Vice Admiral Shekhar Sinha, who is six months senior to newly appointed Navy chief Robin Dhowan shot off a letter to the Defence Ministry seeking voluntary retirement just months before his tenure was to end in August this year.
The appointment of Admiral Dhowan yesterday came a couple of months after the ex-Navy chief Admiral DK Joshi retired in Feb, in wake of more than a dozen of mishaps in less than one year time.
And reports say, one of the reasons that led the government to overlook Vice Admiral Sinha while appointing the chief, might be that it was under his command that most of the mishaps occured.
Two major mishaps that struck Indian Navy involved submarines INS Sindhuratna and INS Sindhurakshak.
INS Sindhuratna mishap killed two Indian Navy officers this year while submarine INS Sindhurakshak sank at the Naval Dockyard in Mumbai, killing 18 personnel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof