Shift Italian marines` trial to Kerala: Oommen Chandy
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy has urged the Central Government to set up the special court at Kollam district to conduct the trial of the two Italian marines charged with the killing of two Indian fishermen.
In a letter to Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh, Chandy has also given an undertaking that the Sessions Court, Kollam, will be designated as a special court to expedite the trial.
"In a separate message to the Prime Minister and Foreign Minister I have asked to set up the Supreme Court recommended special court in Kerala. I have suggested the Kollam court for this," Chandy told media here.
"We stressed on that it should be in Kerala because, if the case is shifted to a place like Delhi, all the witnesses will have to go there, all the records of the case till date is in Malayalam. All these have to be translated. There will be lot of technical, practical and legal difficulties in doing these," he added.
Chandy also thanked Dr. Singh for taking strong measures to bring back Italian marines to the country for the trial in the case.
The arrival of two Italian marines who are to face trial for killing two Indian fishermen back to New Delhi eased tensions between the two countries on Friday.
Italy`s previous decision not to send the marines to face trial in India triggered a diplomatic standoff.
The Supreme Court on Monday ordered Italy`s Ambassador to India Daniele Mancini not to leave the country till April 2, when the next hearing into the killing of two Kerala fishermen allegedly by two Italian marines is scheduled.
The apex court further indicated that all authorities should take appropriate steps on the order restraining the Italian envoy from leaving the country.
The two Italian marines, Salvatore Latorre and Massimiliano Girone, charged with homicide for killing two fishermen off the Kerala coast in February 2012 after mistaking them for pirates, were permitted by the Supreme Court to go to Italy for four weeks to vote in last month`s election.
The two were also allowed to go home during Christmas. They returned to India on the expiry of their leave.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams