Shinde asks ex-Army chief VK Singh to name J&K ministers paid by Army
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: A day after ex-Army chief (retired) Gen VK Singh claimed that "certain ministers" in the state are given money by the Army for "stability", Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Tuesday him to reveal the names of the ministers to whom money was given.
Commenting on Gen Singh’s startling claims that the money was been given to J&K ministers since Independence, Shinde said that if details are provided the matter can be probed.
"Army transfers money to all the ministers in Jammu and Kashmir. .. Because there are various things to be done and ministers have to do so many things as part of the stabilising factor in the state and for organising various activities," he told a news channel.
Questioned whether all ministers are paid, he amended his statement, saying, "May be not all the ministers but certain ministers and people who are given a certain sum to get a particular thing done. That job involves bringing stability to a particular area."
Asked to explain reasons, Singh argued, "There are times like ... Who funded KPL (Kashmir Premier League)? Did the JK government or Omar Abdullah fund it? The Army funded it."
Gen Singh, whose tenure as the Army Chief was shrouded in a controversy over his date of birth, argued, "Kashmir is a different issue altogether. A lot of things are done where you do a lot of civic and youth work. For all this, money is needed. A certain amount of money is given for these works. Where is the problem?
He was responding to allegations that a minister in the J and K Ghulam Hassan Mir was paid Rs 1.19 crore by the Technical Support Division (TSD) set up during his tenure to destabilise the state government.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi