Shinde confident that Anti-Rape Bill will be passed soon
New Delhi: Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Tuesday expressed confidence that the bill, which seeks to make punishment for crime against women more stringent, will be passed in the Budget session.
Following differences in the Cabinet over it, the bill was today referred to a Group of Ministers for further consultations.
Shinde said that the bill will be cleared by Thursday, when the Cabinet meets again.
"The Group of Ministers have been appointed and the meetings will take place. By Thursday, it will be cleared... Not more than this," Shinde told reporters outside Parliament.
To a question whether he was confident that the bill will be passed in this session itself, the Home Minister responded saying " Yes...I am very confident".
Differences erupted in the meeting of the Union Cabinet today on certain provisions of the bill, including lowering the age of consensual sex to 16 years.
Sources said the hour-long special Cabinet meeting convened to clear the bill could not arrive at an agreement, following which Prime Minister Manmohan Singh referred it to a GoM.
The proposed GoM is likely to have Finance Minister P Chidambaram, Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath, Law Minister Ashwani Kumar, Shinde and Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal, sources said.
The Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill, 2013 will replace the February 3 Criminal Law (Amendment) Ordinance. The Ordinance will lapse on April 4 - six weeks from February 21 when the Budget session was convened.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you