Shinde has benami flat in Adarsh, application before HC alleges
Mumbai: A social activist on Friday moved to Bombay High Court seeking to make Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde an accused in the Adarsh Society scam case, because he allegedly owns a benami flat in the controversial building.
Pravin Wategaonkar, who has filed a public interest litigation alleging money-laundering by Adarsh`s members, and sought a probe by Enforcement Directorate alongside the CBI, on Friday filed the application targeting Shinde.
According to Wategaonkar, Shinde, as Maharashtra Chief Minister, handled Adarsh files, and has a benami flat in the plush 31-storey building in south Mumbai.
Shinde suggested inclusion of Major N Khankhoje as a member of the Society, Wategaonkar says, adding that former MLC and member of the Society Kanhaiyalal Gidwani had corroborated this fact before the Adarsh inquiry commission.
"Captain Kiran Khankhoje, son of the late Major, also deposed before the commission and said that when his father applied for Adarsh`s membership, he (Kiran) was to make all the payments. However, his father was not found financially independent and was held ineligible for membership," the application states.
Despite this, Shinde asked the Society to make Khankhoje a member, the application says.
Further, it points out that Kiran told the commission that his father`s will did not mention anything about the flat in Adarsh society. It demands that ED should probe the money trail in respect of payments made by/on behalf of Khankhoje for the flat which would "reveal the true owner".
The application is likely to be heard on July 8. Adarsh, originally meant for families of Kargil war heroes, is facing accusations of violations of environmental norms. Besides, several bureaucrats and politicians stand accused of grabbing flats in the society.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion