Shinde invites militant groups for talks
New Delhi: Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Monday appealed to all militant groups to come forward for peace talks with the government to solve their problems saying violence has no place in democracy.
Addressing cadres of Dima Halam Daogah (DHD), a militant group operating in Assam, which signed a peace pact, he said the government was ready to hold dialogue with any group which shun violence and come forward for dialogue.
"I urge all groups to give up violence and come forward for peaceful negotiation. The government is ready to hold dialogue within the framework of the Constitution," he said.
The home minister said an economic package of Rs 200 crore (Rs 40 crore annually) would also be given for all round development of Dima Hasao district.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, who attended the function, said the pact would help in bringing peace in the trouble-torn district which saw many violence in the past.
"I am happy that they (DHD) have realised the futility of violence and decided to join mainstream. It will usher a new era in the history of Assam," he said.
The Memorandum of Settlement was signed by representatives of Central and Assam governments and the DHD.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know