Shinde invites militant groups for talks
New Delhi: Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Monday appealed to all militant groups to come forward for peace talks with the government to solve their problems saying violence has no place in democracy.
Addressing cadres of Dima Halam Daogah (DHD), a militant group operating in Assam, which signed a peace pact, he said the government was ready to hold dialogue with any group which shun violence and come forward for dialogue.
"I urge all groups to give up violence and come forward for peaceful negotiation. The government is ready to hold dialogue within the framework of the Constitution," he said.
The home minister said an economic package of Rs 200 crore (Rs 40 crore annually) would also be given for all round development of Dima Hasao district.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, who attended the function, said the pact would help in bringing peace in the trouble-torn district which saw many violence in the past.
"I am happy that they (DHD) have realised the futility of violence and decided to join mainstream. It will usher a new era in the history of Assam," he said.
The Memorandum of Settlement was signed by representatives of Central and Assam governments and the DHD.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why