Shinde meets, Advani, Sushma, Jaitley on passage of UAPA Amendment Bill
New Delhi: Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Thursday met NDA Working Chairperson L K Advani and Leaders of the Opposition in Parliament to seek their support for passage of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Amendment Bill, 2011 but failed to convince them.
Shinde, the leader of the Lok Sabha, met Advani, Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj and her Rajya Sabha counterpart Arun Jaitley in Parliament House this morning to discuss the continuing stalemate in the monsoon session.
Sources said Shinde requested that the main opposition support passage of the UAPA Amendment Bill, 2011 which was listed in the Lok Sabha today. The Bill seeks to bring money laundering for terror funding under the ambit of the UAPA Act and term it an act of terrorism.
However, Advani told Shinde that the government should defer the move as it requires debate and the members from across parties would like to speak on the issue in the House.
Realising that passage of such a crucial bill is not possible without BJP`s support at a time when the opposition is not allowing Parliament to function, the government decided to defer the move. The amendment bill is now likely to come up in the winter session of Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins