Shinde meets, Advani, Sushma, Jaitley on passage of UAPA Amendment Bill
New Delhi: Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Thursday met NDA Working Chairperson L K Advani and Leaders of the Opposition in Parliament to seek their support for passage of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Amendment Bill, 2011 but failed to convince them.
Shinde, the leader of the Lok Sabha, met Advani, Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj and her Rajya Sabha counterpart Arun Jaitley in Parliament House this morning to discuss the continuing stalemate in the monsoon session.
Sources said Shinde requested that the main opposition support passage of the UAPA Amendment Bill, 2011 which was listed in the Lok Sabha today. The Bill seeks to bring money laundering for terror funding under the ambit of the UAPA Act and term it an act of terrorism.
However, Advani told Shinde that the government should defer the move as it requires debate and the members from across parties would like to speak on the issue in the House.
Realising that passage of such a crucial bill is not possible without BJP`s support at a time when the opposition is not allowing Parliament to function, the government decided to defer the move. The amendment bill is now likely to come up in the winter session of Parliament.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case