Shinde reads out same statement twice in Lok Sabha
New Delhi: Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde Thursday read out parts of his statement twice in the Lok Sabha on the attack on CRPF troopers in Srinagar, adding to the list of his gaffes.
According to parliament sources, Shinde stopped only when an official pointed it out to him that he had read out parts of his statement twice. BJP members protested the issue.
Controversies are not new to the political leader from Maharashtra, who started off as a police inspector, quit the force and rapidly climbed the political ladder to become the Maharashtra chief minister and later a central minister.
Recently, Shinde, who regretted his January statement linking the Bharatiya Janata Party and the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh to terrorism, was in the eye of a storm over the alleged intelligence failure behind the Hyderabad blasts that killed 16 people and injured 117.
The issue had rocked parliament as opposition parties attacked the government after Shinde said there were prior intelligence reports about the blasts.
Shinde was also criticised for the delay in intimating the family of parliament attack convict Afzal Guru about his execution Feb 9, denying the family basic human courtesy.
Earlier this month, while making a statement in the Rajya Sabha on the rape and murder of three minor sisters in Bhandara in Maharashtra, Shinde named all the victims, which according to the law is prohibited. This drew the ire of BJP members and the deputy chairman expunged the names from the records.
In December last year, during the visit of Pakistani Interior Minister Rehman Malik, BJP leader Yashwant Sinha hit out at Shinde for "not responding appropriately" to Malik`s controversial remarks about 26/11 Mumbai attacks` mastermind Hafiz Saeed and the Babri Masjid issue.
Malik compared the 2008 Mumbai attacks with the demolition of Babri Masjid in Ayodhya in 1992.
However, he later claimed his statement was misunderstood.
Shinde was made the home minister after incumbent P. Chidambaram moved to the finance ministry in August 2012. He was also made Leader of the Lok Sabha after Pranab Mukjerjee vacated the post when he was elected the president in July.
Shinde is considered to be Congress chief Sonia Gandhi`s choice for the high-profile post of India`s home minister as a reward for his loyalty to the party leadership.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow