Shinde to be new Leader of House in Lok Sabha
New Delhi: Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde will be the new Leader of the House in Lok Sabha taking the place of Pranab Mukherjee who has now become President.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has nominated Shinde to the post, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal told reporters here.
71-year-old Shinde is a senior Congress leader from Maharashtra who represents Solapur Lok Sabha constituency in the state. A dalit leader, he had served as Chief Minister of Maharashtra and was member of the state assembly for seven terms.
Shinde, who was Power Minister, was shifted to Home Ministry on Tuesday. He had also been Governor of Andhra Pradesh.
"I am grateful to the Prime Minister and Congress President Sonia Gandhi for nominating me as Leader of the House," he told PTI.
Apparently his wide experience in four decades in politics and given his affable nature, the Congress leadership may have preferred him over others for the job that requires cooperation from Opposition in transacting business on the floor.
Under rules, the Prime Minister becomes the Leader of the House if he is a member of Lok Sabha. In other case, he nominates one of the members to be the leader. Singh is a member of Rajya Sabha and hence he leads the House there.
Ever since Mukherjee`s shift to Rasthrapati Bhawan became imminent, there has been speculation as to who would become the new Leader of the House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof