Shinde`s remarks directed at BJP`s `paid team`: Congress
New Delhi: Amid an uproar over Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde`s threat to "crush" the electronic media, Congress on Tuesday said it has always given respect to the media and his statement was directed at BJP`s "paid team", which attacks virulently anyone who targets it or Narendra Modi.
"Congress has always respected the media. It has an important place in a democracy. Shinde has himself clarified in the matter," party spokesman Shaktisinh Gohil told reporters.
The remarks came in the wake of the Home Minister threatening to "crush" the electronic media and later making a U-turn, claiming he was referring to the social media and not journalists.
Gohil utilised the occasion to target Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi alleging that there was huge uproar after the cameras of the Lok Sabha blacked out for two hours. In Gujarat Assembly, Modi has permanently closed the eye of the camera.
The Gujarat chief minister had put a journalist Manoj Shinde behind bars on serious charges of anti-national activities for writing against him, the Congress spokesperson alleged.
The Home Minister`s statement was directed at the "paid team" of the BJP, which attacks virulently anyone who targets Modi or his party, he said.
Shinde had stoked a controversy on Sunday evening by threatening to "crush" the electronic media, alleging a section of it was unnecessarily provoking the Congress by indulging in "false propaganda" against it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM