Ship carrying arms and security guards detained: Coast Guard
Chennai: A ship carrying arms and security guards among its 35-member crew was detained by Coast Guard off Tuticorin coast on Saturday.
The `MV Seaman Guard Ohio` was intercepted about 15 nautical miles east of Tuticorin in the early hours today by a Coast Guard ship.
Coast Guard despatched its ship upon receiving information that the said vessel was allegedly carrying arms and security guards. The ship was later escorted to Tuticorin harbour, according to a Coast Guard press release.
Manned by a 10-member crew, comprising two Ukrainians and eight Indians, the vessel also had 25 security guards on board (14 Estonians, six British nationals, four Indians and one Ukrainian), it said.
"A multi-agency joint investigation was undertaken at Tuticorin. The authorisation for carrying arms on board is yet to be verified," it said.
Coastal police would make further inquiries to ascertain whether the ship was involved in arms trafficking, the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet