Ship carrying arms and security guards detained: Coast Guard
Chennai: A ship carrying arms and security guards among its 35-member crew was detained by Coast Guard off Tuticorin coast on Saturday.
The `MV Seaman Guard Ohio` was intercepted about 15 nautical miles east of Tuticorin in the early hours today by a Coast Guard ship.
Coast Guard despatched its ship upon receiving information that the said vessel was allegedly carrying arms and security guards. The ship was later escorted to Tuticorin harbour, according to a Coast Guard press release.
Manned by a 10-member crew, comprising two Ukrainians and eight Indians, the vessel also had 25 security guards on board (14 Estonians, six British nationals, four Indians and one Ukrainian), it said.
"A multi-agency joint investigation was undertaken at Tuticorin. The authorisation for carrying arms on board is yet to be verified," it said.
Coastal police would make further inquiries to ascertain whether the ship was involved in arms trafficking, the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead