Ship carrying arms and security guards detained: Coast Guard
Chennai: A ship carrying arms and security guards among its 35-member crew was detained by Coast Guard off Tuticorin coast on Saturday.
The `MV Seaman Guard Ohio` was intercepted about 15 nautical miles east of Tuticorin in the early hours today by a Coast Guard ship.
Coast Guard despatched its ship upon receiving information that the said vessel was allegedly carrying arms and security guards. The ship was later escorted to Tuticorin harbour, according to a Coast Guard press release.
Manned by a 10-member crew, comprising two Ukrainians and eight Indians, the vessel also had 25 security guards on board (14 Estonians, six British nationals, four Indians and one Ukrainian), it said.
"A multi-agency joint investigation was undertaken at Tuticorin. The authorisation for carrying arms on board is yet to be verified," it said.
Coastal police would make further inquiries to ascertain whether the ship was involved in arms trafficking, the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy