Ship carrying arms and security guards detained: Coast Guard
Chennai: A ship carrying arms and security guards among its 35-member crew was detained by Coast Guard off Tuticorin coast on Saturday.
The `MV Seaman Guard Ohio` was intercepted about 15 nautical miles east of Tuticorin in the early hours today by a Coast Guard ship.
Coast Guard despatched its ship upon receiving information that the said vessel was allegedly carrying arms and security guards. The ship was later escorted to Tuticorin harbour, according to a Coast Guard press release.
Manned by a 10-member crew, comprising two Ukrainians and eight Indians, the vessel also had 25 security guards on board (14 Estonians, six British nationals, four Indians and one Ukrainian), it said.
"A multi-agency joint investigation was undertaken at Tuticorin. The authorisation for carrying arms on board is yet to be verified," it said.
Coastal police would make further inquiries to ascertain whether the ship was involved in arms trafficking, the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state