Shiv Sena accuses Cong of `ignoring` martyr Hemraj
Mumbai: Amid outrage over the beheading of a soldier at LoC, Shiv Sena on Monday stepped up the attack on the UPA government, saying "patriots have no value" under Congress rule and demanded snapping of sporting ties with Pakistan.
"Sonia Gandhi has time to go to Assam and wipe tears of Bangladeshi infiltrators, but she does not have time to meet mother and wife of martyr Hemraj," Sena Executive President Uddhav Thackeray said.
"Under the Congress rule, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis have an upper hand, while patriots don`t have even an iota of importance," the Sena leader said in a statement issued here this evening.
There is no expectation of any action from the government, Uddhav said.
"Even Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde will say, `the government has laid the carpet to welcome Pakistani cricket and hockey players to forget the pain (of Hemraj`s beheading)," he mocked.
"You should decide whether Pakistan cricket and hockey players should be allowed to play here when jawans are being killed by Pakistan on the border," Uddhav said.
Uddhav`s remarks came after the IPL-style Hockey India League yesterday hit a road block with Shiv Sena supporters protesting against the participation of four Pakistani players in a scheduled practice session of `Mumbai Magicians` team here.
On January 8, Pakistan Army regulars had infiltrated inside Indian territory in Poonch sector of Jammu and Kashmir and killed and mutilated the bodies of Lance Naiks Sudhakar Singh and Hemraj Singh. The latter`s family is demanding that his severed head be brought back from Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender