Shiv Sena asks BJP to clear stand on MNS, Modi talks to Uddhav
Zee Media Bureau/Ajith Vijay Kumar
Mumbai: The BJP is in damage control mode in Maharashtra after its two-decade-long alliance with Shiv Sena came under strain over Raj Thackeray.
The matter forced NDA`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi to talk to Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray on phone to soothe frayed nerves. BJP`s Maharashtra in charge Rajiv Pratap Rudy was also rushed to Mumbai to meet Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray today.
As part of that outreach, Rajiv Pratap Rudy, a senior BJP leader who is in charge of Maharashtra, met Thackeray at his Mumbai home this evening.
"We met Thackeray at his residence Matoshree; the meeting was held in an amicable environment. I want to say that Shiv Sena is an indestructible part of the NDA," Rudy said.
Hitting out at the BJP, Uddhav said the party must clarify its stand on its alliance with the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena, led by Raj Thackeray.
"I have a question for the BJP. Who is your pointperson here? Who is speaking for the BJP?" Uddhav asked.
He also asked the MNS to clarify its election strategy. "If you have such a plan to fight elections against someone and then take their support after elections like (AAP leader Arvind) Kejriwal did, then clarify," he said.
An editorial in Shiv Sena mouthpiece `Saamana`, Tuesday, had denied any rift, saying that the alliance has weathered many storms and remains strong as ever, the BJP appears keen to avoid misunderstandings and iron out differences, if any.
The alliance came under pressure after former BJP chief Nitin Gadkari made attempts to include Raj Thackeray`s Maharashtra Navnirman Sena in the five-party saffron alliance in the state and the NDA.
The BJP had reached out to the MNS to prevent the repeat of 2009 when the party had divided the Marathi votes in Mumbai, Pune and Nashik, leading to a clean sweep by the Congress-NCP alliance.
The MNS had fielded 11 candidates in 2009. Although it drew a blank but its candidates finished second in around half a dozen constituencies, marring the chances of the saffron alliance.
However, given the long standing deep divisions between Uddhav and Raj, the Sena is staunchly opposed to joining hands with the MNS.
In a veiled dig at the MNS, the `Saamana` editorial said, “The efforts by some to break the alliance and split the Hindu vote has gone in vain. There were differences at times as well, but the alliance survived all that."
The `Saamana` also praised NDA`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi. "Modi is getting support from all across the nation today. It`s almost as if there is a derby race on to support him. Even those who abused him yesterday are today chanting Modi Modi. No bigger proof of changing times," it said.
Importantly, Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray has called a meeting of party office-bearers and Lok Sabha candidates at party headquarters Sena Bhavan here today. The Shiv Sena leadership is expected to discuss poll strategy during the meeting.
The meeting comes days after MNS announced that it will contest the Lok Sabha polls. Raj has already announced the first list candidates for seven seats."We will contest the Lok Sabha elections. I will show my party`s strength during the elections. We will support Narendra Modi for the PM`s post. Modi should become the Prime Minister of the country," Raj had said while addressing his party workers.
"I will show my strength in the elections," Raj Thackeray added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday