Shiv Sena hits out at BJP, Modi for appeasing Muslims
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: The Shiv Sena on Wednesday made a veiled attack on its ally BJP and its prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi.
In an article in its newspaper ‘Saamna’, Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray targeted BJP’s politics saying people forget the temple issue in a bid to seek power.
"Minority appeasement is a curse to the country. We had seen earlier that to get power Ram temple issue was sidelined, issues like common civil code were kept aside," Uddhav said.
Burqa wearing women are being invited to poll meetings, the article goes on to say.
"Special efforts are being made to bring in minority (Muslim) faces to (Modi`s) public rallies. Everyone is in a hurry to appease minorities. Rather than opposing the Congress, all are getting in the race of appeasing minorities," Thackeray said in the editorial.
The BJP is trying to reach out to Muslims ahead of the Assembly and General Elections, in a bid to seek acceptability for Modi as PM, who is still carrying on the perceived burden of 2002 riots.
The Maharashtra party, however, later denied targeting Modi saying the article aimed at the Congress and its minority appeasement policies.
Shiv Sena`s Rahul Narvekar said the article never intended to hit out at Modi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly