Shiv Sena hits out at BJP, Modi for appeasing Muslims
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: The Shiv Sena on Wednesday made a veiled attack on its ally BJP and its prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi.
In an article in its newspaper ‘Saamna’, Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray targeted BJP’s politics saying people forget the temple issue in a bid to seek power.
"Minority appeasement is a curse to the country. We had seen earlier that to get power Ram temple issue was sidelined, issues like common civil code were kept aside," Uddhav said.
Burqa wearing women are being invited to poll meetings, the article goes on to say.
"Special efforts are being made to bring in minority (Muslim) faces to (Modi`s) public rallies. Everyone is in a hurry to appease minorities. Rather than opposing the Congress, all are getting in the race of appeasing minorities," Thackeray said in the editorial.
The BJP is trying to reach out to Muslims ahead of the Assembly and General Elections, in a bid to seek acceptability for Modi as PM, who is still carrying on the perceived burden of 2002 riots.
The Maharashtra party, however, later denied targeting Modi saying the article aimed at the Congress and its minority appeasement policies.
Shiv Sena`s Rahul Narvekar said the article never intended to hit out at Modi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know