Shiv Sena opposes move to pardon Sanjay Dutt
Mumbai: Shiv Sena on Monday opposed the move to pardon Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt stating that it would send a wrong message to the society.
Speaking in the Legislative Council during a debate on Law and Order scenario in Maharashtra, Shiv Sena MLC Neelam Gorhe said, "There should not be a rethink on the Supreme Court`s judgement. It will send a wrong message to the society if Dutt is pardoned”.
The Supreme Court, had on March 19, upheld his conviction under Arms Act for illegally possessing prohibited weapons including an AK-56 rifle and sentenced him to five years of imprisonment.
"Leaders from various political parties have demanded that he should be pardoned. But if leniency is shown to Dutt, it would amount to providing political cover to the convicts in this case," she added.
Incidentally, the then Congress MP Sunil Dutt and father of Sanjay, had turned up to Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray to ensure that his actor son got some relief after he was arrested and jailed under the stringent Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act also known as TADA for possessing illegal weapons.
Various film personalities and politicians have stated that the Maharashtra government could make a request to the state governor to pardon Sanjay Dutt.
As per the provisions of the law, the governor has powers to pardon a convict or reduce his punishment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users