Shiv Sena to oppose reservation on caste or religious lines
New Delhi: NDA constituent Shiv Sena, which opposed the bill for quota in promotion for SCs/STs in government jobs in Rajya Sabha on Thursday, said it will continue to oppose reservation of any kind on caste or religious lines.
"Shiv Sena has been holding this stand for long. It is not a political stand for vote bank politics, it is a stand for social justice. We hold that no one should get reservation on the basis of religion or caste," Shiv Sena leader Sanjay Raut told reporters here.
"The current bill providing for reservation in promotions is totally against social justice. It is against merit. It will kill merit in the country and will lead to anarchy. We have opposed it and will continue to oppose it," he said.
Dismissing the comments made by Congress leader Digvijay Singh that Thackeray family hailed from Bihar and migrated to Mumbai, Raut asked the Congress leadership to give "research work" to Singh.
"We would suggest to Congress leaders that Digvijay Singh who has no work should be entrusted with research work instead and be given a librarian-like post in a library. Congress has lost wherever he has campaigned and he is idle these days. Digvijay Singh has always spoken a lie and this is another of his lies about the Thackeray family," Raut alleged.
Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh had said the Thackeray family itself belonged to Bihar and had settled in Dhar in western Madhya Pradesh from where they migrated to Mumbai.
"If you look at the history of Mumbai, then it is a city of fishermen. Rest all have settled there from outside," Singh had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok