Shiv Sena walkout Rajya Sabha over Belgaum issue
New Delhi: Shiv Sena on Monday walked out of the Rajya Sabha when its demand for an immediate discussion on the Belgaum border dispute issue was disallowed by Chairman Hamid Ansari.
As soon as Ansari took up the Question Hour, Manohar Joshi (Shiv Sena) urged the chairman to allow a short duration discussion on the controversial issue.
To this, Ansari said the matter was sub-judice.
Joshi, however, insisted that the matter could be discussed in the House.
"I received a letter from Chairman`s office on August 2, which allowed a discussion on the issue. However on August 6, I received another letter which said my request has been
rejected. How can this happen?" Joshi asked.
"One letter allows discussion, another disallows it... I feel there is some pressure on the Chairman," Joshi said.
Seeking intervention of the Parliamentary Affairs Minister, he said, "We are trying to raise the issue for the last 12 days... I want an assurance from the minister."
Ansari then said all members should work out the parameters as to what is sub-judice and what is not. "I would request members to sit together and work out the meaning and
ambit of sub-judice," he said.
Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Prithviraj Chavan said the Chairman has assured the members that a decision would be taken by tomorrow on discussing the issue.
Joshi, however, said that despite assurance from the Chairman, he would not be able to participate in the House`s proceedings.
"Though the Chairman has given an assurance, I will not be able to participate in the proceedings," he said and walked out along with his party colleague Sanjay Raut.
Maharashtra and Karnataka have been involved in a long standing dispute over Belgaum, which falls in Karnataka but has a large number of Marathi-speaking population. The matter is before the Supreme Court for the last five years.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know