Shiv Sena wants NDA’s PM candidate named, now
New Delhi: While the debate over who will be the NDA’s face for the 2014 Lok Sabha polls continues, Shiv Sena feels that the time has come for the BJP-led alliance to clear the air over its prime ministerial candidate.
Reports, Thursday, quoted Sanjay Raut, the Shiv Sena MP saying, “(Sena president) Uddhav Thackeray feels the NDA must discuss this (the prime ministerial candidate of the NDA).”
Raut, who is also the executive editor of the party mouthpiece Saamna, further stated, “It will be right to declare the name now. It is necessary (for the people) to know under whose leadership we will fight (the polls).”
“Yashwant Sinha is a BJP leader and it is the BJP’s question as to whose name they want to push (for the prime minister’s post). The NDA must discuss this as the issue is important. A meeting of the NDA must be called,” he reportedly said.
Sanjay Raut’s statement came a day after senior BJP leaders Ram Jethmalani and Yashwant Sinha extended their support to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as the party’s prime ministerial candidate for 2014 polls.
The growing support to Modi’s candidature from several quarters has made BJP top uncomfortable, which has been maintaining that a decision on the same would be taken at an appropriate time after the elections.
However, the BJP top brass is aware that it can no longer remain in the comfort zone and will have to clear the air soon on who would be its choice for the upcoming General Elections.
Late Shiv Sena founder Bal Thackeray had earlier backed Sushma Swaraj as the right candidate for the prime minister’s post. Adding to BJP’s trouble, Punjab’s ruling Shiromani Akali Dal yesterday backed Modi’s name for the top job.
Importantly, the Janata Dal (U) leader and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had already made his displeasure over Modi’s candidature known to public.
Under such circumstances, NDA constituent like the Shiv Sena and the JD-U may force the BJP to take a stand before the leaders of the party are ready to take the call.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez