Shivani murder case: Delhi HC acquits RK Sharma
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court, Wednesday, acquitted former senior police officer RK Sharma and two others convicted by a lower court in the Shivani Bhatnagar murder case.
The court observed that circumstantial evidence is not enough to convict the accused in the case and hence the three accused were acquitted citing lack of evidence.
Sharma, a former IPS officer, is serving life term in Tihar Jail and his accomplices Bhagwan, Pradeep Sharma and Satya Prakash for having killed Shivani, an Indian Express scribe, in her Navkunj Apartments flat at IP Extension in East Delhi on January 2, 1999.
Pradeep Sharma, who actually killed Shivani, would continue to be in jail as the life sentence awarded to him was upheld by the High Court. The other three were accused of hatching the conspiracy to kill the scribe.
"Accused R K Sharma, Sri Bhagwan Sharma and Satya Prakash
get the benefit of doubt. We, however, uphold the conviction
of Pradeep Sharma in the case," said a bench of justices B D
Ahmed and Manmohan Singh, deciding the appeals by the four
against their conviction and sentence in the murder case.
The lower court had on March 24, 2008, convicted four
persons including R K Sharma, who had once served as officer
on special duty in the Prime Minister`s office.
The trial court, however, had acquitted co-accused Dev
Prakash Sharma and Ved alias Kalu in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez