Shivani murder case: Delhi HC acquits RK Sharma
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court, Wednesday, acquitted former senior police officer RK Sharma and two others convicted by a lower court in the Shivani Bhatnagar murder case.
The court observed that circumstantial evidence is not enough to convict the accused in the case and hence the three accused were acquitted citing lack of evidence.
Sharma, a former IPS officer, is serving life term in Tihar Jail and his accomplices Bhagwan, Pradeep Sharma and Satya Prakash for having killed Shivani, an Indian Express scribe, in her Navkunj Apartments flat at IP Extension in East Delhi on January 2, 1999.
Pradeep Sharma, who actually killed Shivani, would continue to be in jail as the life sentence awarded to him was upheld by the High Court. The other three were accused of hatching the conspiracy to kill the scribe.
"Accused R K Sharma, Sri Bhagwan Sharma and Satya Prakash
get the benefit of doubt. We, however, uphold the conviction
of Pradeep Sharma in the case," said a bench of justices B D
Ahmed and Manmohan Singh, deciding the appeals by the four
against their conviction and sentence in the murder case.
The lower court had on March 24, 2008, convicted four
persons including R K Sharma, who had once served as officer
on special duty in the Prime Minister`s office.
The trial court, however, had acquitted co-accused Dev
Prakash Sharma and Ved alias Kalu in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves