`Shocked` I-T apex body demands apology from Gadkari
New Delhi: Demanding apology from former BJP chief Nitin Gadkari for alleged threat to Income Tax officials, their apex body on Sunday claimed the remarks were aimed at hindering a free and fair probe into Purti group investments and sought security for those handling the case.
"The IRS Association (All India Body) has noted with deep concern and shock, the news-item appearing in the national dailies regarding the alleged threat issued by Shri Nitin Gadkari to the officers of the Income Tax Department investigating the case of suspected tax-evasion by certain companies," the body said in its resolution issued today.
The Association condemned the use of "such intemperate language by a politician of national stature with intention to thwart the rule of law and demands an unconditional apology from him."
The IRS (I-T) is a 4,000-strong body and it is deployed in the country under the umbrella of the tax department and on deputation to other enforcement and investigative agencies for tax collection, checking evasion and a variety of other duties in this domain.
On January 24 in Nagpur, a day after he demitted the office of the BJP President, Gadkari had held out a threat to Income Tax authorities, probing dubious fundings in the Purti group with which he was associated, saying nobody would save them when BJP came to power at the Centre.
"As BJP president I had to maintain dignity and work within boundaries.... Now I am a free man. Congress` boat is about to sink and when our party comes to power, there would be no Chidambaram or Sonia to save them (IT officials)," Gadkari had said addressing party workers.
The IRS association has also demanded security for officials working on this case.
"The statement issued by Shri Gadkari is derogatory for the Service and his threat is aimed to hinder free and fair investigations into a matter of alleged tax evasion," said the resolution passed in a meeting held in the national capital.
"The Association also requests the authorities to provide adequate security to the concerned officers," it said.
Income Tax department offices in Mumbai, Pune and Nagpur have been probing investments of alleged shell companies in the Purti group and the authorities have even summoned Gadkari in person on February 1 as part of this probe.
"The Association demands that the authorities responsible for maintaining law and order in Maharastra take suo-motu cognisance of the utterances made by him as it is clearly meant to obstruct a Government Servant from discharging his duty," the resolution said.
The body stressed IRS officers have been trained to perform their duties without any fear or favour.
"IRS Association would like to state that the IRS officers have been appointed to the Indian Revenue Service by the honourable President of India on their own merit and continue to hold their position in the Government by dint of their hard work and not because of the patronage of one or the other political party.
"The Service takes pride in its apolitical character and its contribution to the nation building.... Therefore, while considering the merits of the case they do not get influenced by the color, caste, creed or economic or political influence of the taxpayers," the resolution said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor