Shooting incident happened in Indian waters: Govt
Chennai: In the wake of the controversy over Additional Solicitor General Harin Raval`s submission in the Supreme Court on the Italian ship `Enrica Lexie` shooting incident, Centre on Saturday said it might be his personal opinion, asserting that it happened in Indian waters.
"Government is clear that the incident happened in Indian waters," Shipping Minister GK Vasan told reporters here.
"It might be his personal opinion," Vasan said, responding to Harin Raval`s submission that Enrica Lexie was not within Indian territorial waters when the two marines aboard it had allegedly shot dead two Indian fishermen on February 15.
The ASG`s submission in the apex court had drawn sharp reactions in Kerala with the family of the victims, the Latin Catholic Church and fishery unions expressing shock and anguish over the matter.
The two fishermen were killed when the marines, Latore Massimiliano and Salvatore Gironi, allegedly fired at their boat off Kollam coast. They were arrested on February 19 and charged with murder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!