Shooting incident happened in Indian waters: Govt
Chennai: In the wake of the controversy over Additional Solicitor General Harin Raval`s submission in the Supreme Court on the Italian ship `Enrica Lexie` shooting incident, Centre on Saturday said it might be his personal opinion, asserting that it happened in Indian waters.
"Government is clear that the incident happened in Indian waters," Shipping Minister GK Vasan told reporters here.
"It might be his personal opinion," Vasan said, responding to Harin Raval`s submission that Enrica Lexie was not within Indian territorial waters when the two marines aboard it had allegedly shot dead two Indian fishermen on February 15.
The ASG`s submission in the apex court had drawn sharp reactions in Kerala with the family of the victims, the Latin Catholic Church and fishery unions expressing shock and anguish over the matter.
The two fishermen were killed when the marines, Latore Massimiliano and Salvatore Gironi, allegedly fired at their boat off Kollam coast. They were arrested on February 19 and charged with murder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket explodes minutes after Florida launch
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him