Shooting incident happened in Indian waters: Govt
Chennai: In the wake of the controversy over Additional Solicitor General Harin Raval`s submission in the Supreme Court on the Italian ship `Enrica Lexie` shooting incident, Centre on Saturday said it might be his personal opinion, asserting that it happened in Indian waters.
"Government is clear that the incident happened in Indian waters," Shipping Minister GK Vasan told reporters here.
"It might be his personal opinion," Vasan said, responding to Harin Raval`s submission that Enrica Lexie was not within Indian territorial waters when the two marines aboard it had allegedly shot dead two Indian fishermen on February 15.
The ASG`s submission in the apex court had drawn sharp reactions in Kerala with the family of the victims, the Latin Catholic Church and fishery unions expressing shock and anguish over the matter.
The two fishermen were killed when the marines, Latore Massimiliano and Salvatore Gironi, allegedly fired at their boat off Kollam coast. They were arrested on February 19 and charged with murder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Flying kisses galore! Ranveer Singh – Deepika Padukone are very much in love – Watch
- Asian markets extend gains on Brexit stimulus bets
- CCPA to meet today to decide Monsoon Session dates
- 'Rustom' POSTER: Akshay Kumar's intense act will leave you asking for more!