Shooting incident happened in Indian waters: Govt
Chennai: In the wake of the controversy over Additional Solicitor General Harin Raval`s submission in the Supreme Court on the Italian ship `Enrica Lexie` shooting incident, Centre on Saturday said it might be his personal opinion, asserting that it happened in Indian waters.
"Government is clear that the incident happened in Indian waters," Shipping Minister GK Vasan told reporters here.
"It might be his personal opinion," Vasan said, responding to Harin Raval`s submission that Enrica Lexie was not within Indian territorial waters when the two marines aboard it had allegedly shot dead two Indian fishermen on February 15.
The ASG`s submission in the apex court had drawn sharp reactions in Kerala with the family of the victims, the Latin Catholic Church and fishery unions expressing shock and anguish over the matter.
The two fishermen were killed when the marines, Latore Massimiliano and Salvatore Gironi, allegedly fired at their boat off Kollam coast. They were arrested on February 19 and charged with murder.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- It's a Black Hole Friday for NASA!
- Shocking! Anurag Basu feels Salman Khan is ‘boring’?
- Kapil Sharma organises ‘wedding’ ceremony for married Harbhajan Singh, Geeta Basra?
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife