New Delhi: Short circuit appears to be the cause of the fire in the pantry car of New Delhi-Dibrugarh Rajdhani Express train in Assam today, railway sources said.
"An inquiry has been ordered into the incident but prima facie the cause seems to be short circuit in the pantry car," said the sources.
"It was found that the pantry car was filled with smoke during the early morning and the window glass was broken to let out the smoke. However, the fresh air entered in the pantry and resulted in fire in the bogie," the official said.
Despite several fire incidents, railways is yet to make fool-proof arrangement to prevent such hazards in trains.
There were a total of four incidents of fire in trains during April-October this year while five such mishaps reported in the same period last year.
Currently, the automatic fire detection system is installed only in Bhubaneswar and Ranchi Rajdhani.
As per plan, all Rajdhnai trains will be equipped with the system to prevent fire in premier service.