Shortage of officers in CBI, 2272 cases pending
New Delhi: Over 2200 cases with the CBI are
pending trial for over 10 years as the agency suffers from
shortage of 1176 officers at various levels, the Rajya Sabha
was informed on Thursday.
Minister of State for Personnel, Public Grievances and
Pensions V Narayanasamy in a written reply said, "2272 CBI
cases are pending trial in various courts for more than 10
years on June 30, 2011."
He said the Central Government has decided to set-up 71
additional special courts for CBI cases in the country.
Sanction orders have, so far, been issued by the Central
Government for setting up of 68 courts out of which 30 have
already been functional, he said.
"The state Governments have been requested to take
necessary steps for operationalisation of remaining special
courts sanctioned by the Central Government," he said.
In a separate reply, the Minister said as against the
sanctioned strength of 6565, the actual strength as on date in
CBI is 5389.
"Out of 1176 vacancies, 720 are under deputation quota
which are filled by officers of State Police Forces/Central
Police Forces and other organisations of the Central and the
State Governments," the Minister said.
Underlining the reasons for vacancies in the CBI, the
Minister said some governments are unwilling to spare officers
for deputation while officers of some states and some other
organisations are willing to join the agency on account of
higher pay scales and pay packages in their own cadres.
"Non availability of officers from the CPOs like BSF,
CRPF, CISF, ITBP etc. on deputation as these organisations are
expanding and are unable to spare officials for CBI," the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'