Show info of ration items available in fair price shops: CIC
New Delhi: In a move that could help check
corruption in Public Distribution System, the Central
Information Commission (CIC) has directed the Delhi Government
to ensure displaying of information regarding availability of
ration items in the city`s fair price shops by January-end.
Citizen groups such as Pardarshita, Satark Nagrik
Sangathan and Sajha Manch had approached the Commission
alleging that many fair price shopkeepers in the city were not
complying with the PDS Control Order 2001 that mandates
disclosures of essential items compulsory.
They cited the order which states that it is the duty of
every fair price shopkeeper to "display information on a
notice on a daily basis regarding list of BPL and Antodaya
beneficiaries, entitlements of essential commodities, scale
of issue and retail issue prices besides timings of opening
and closing of the shops."
The order also mandates the shopkeepers to inform about
stock of essential commodities received during the month,
opening and closing stock of essential items and the name of
authorities for redressal of grievances with respect to their
quality and quantity under the Public Distribution System.
In a meeting held last week, the CIC instructed the
Delhi Food and Supplies Department, which oversees ration
shops ensuring that informations are displayed at the fair
price shops and the Department`s Circle Offices as required
under Section 4 of the Right to Information Act 2005.
Senior officials of the Food and Civil Supplies
Department have promised the CIC to implement the order before
31 January next year, sources said adding the shopkeepers
usually hide the information from cardholders in a bid to
divert the ration items into the open market.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM