Shrine Board, sadhus spar over Amarnath pilgrimage schedule
Jammu: Notwithstanding the Amarnath
shrine board`s decision to commence the annual pilgrimage to
the holy cave from June 29, a group of sadhus today announced
that they will embark on the yatra from June 15.
"About 1000 sadhus and mahatmas shall participate in
this annunal pilgrimage and will lead the first batch of
Amarnath Yatra along with the devotees from all across India
on June 15 this year," head of sadhus at Ranbishwar Temple
Mahant Rameshwar Dass told reporters here.
He supported the Baba Amarnath Yatri Niyas (BAYN)-- a
little known amalgam ostensibly backed by VHP and Bajrang
Dal-- which has announced that it will commence Amarnath
pilgrimage from June 15 instead of June 29.
"We will support and start the yatra as per the
decision taken by Niyas," Dass said and lashed out at Shri
Amarnathji Shrine Board (SASB) for failing to start the yatra
from June 15.
The Board has made it clear that inclement weather was
the factor behind cutting short by two weeks the two-month
yatra which traditionally begins on June 15.
Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, a Board member, had yesterday
asked people not to be swayed by baseless rumours that the
annual yatra to the popular cave shrine was curtailed by a
fortnight due to pressure from some groups.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued