Shun Raj Thackeray: Congress asks media
New Delhi: Congress Party has asked the country`s media to boycott the likes of hardliner regional leader Raj Thackeray of Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) for threatening to shut down Hindi news channels.
"It is my sincere appeal to the media specially the news channels to boycott such people who incite separatist ideologies through mass communication. They are in the position to make inflammatory statements because the media displays it in the headlines. If you start boycotting such people it will put an end to such blatant statements," said Tewari.
Echoing similar views, Congress leader Renuka Chowdhury said: ""I don``t think Mr. Raj Thackeray is qualified to say that the media will be closed, nobody can close down any media no matter how much they wish for it. It is not possible."
However, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) spokesperson Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi has assailed the Congress for letting Thackeray to adapt such an attitude against people of Hindi heartland.
"I think this entire incident is sponsored by the Congress Party. The regional leader knows beforehand about what letter is being written by the Government of Bihar to the Government of Maharashtra. The Maharashtra state government and Chief Secretary reveals information later, Thackeray knows things first. So this gives room to a lot of doubt and questions," he said.
"His statements are irresponsible, these attacks on media- what is the difference then between the attacks in Azad Maidan and this. Someone is using bullets while the other is using language to attack the media. Their mentality and psychology is the same," he added.
Meanwhile, Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPM) general secretary Prakash Karat demanded strict action against Thackeray.
"These statements are against the nation. All citizens of the country, whether they are from Bihar, Punjab or any other state, they have the right to settle and work in any part of India. Action should be taken against him for the statements made by Raj Thackeray," Karat told media in Jalandhar.
Alleging that Hindi news channels were ``distorting`` his statements, Thackeray on Sunday said that they should not air the news without understanding the issues.
Thackeray said that "I want to tell the Hindi news channel to first understand the issue before it is broadcast... otherwise we know how to stop it."
Thackeray`s reaction comes after some Hindi news channels and leaders of JD(U), RJD and BJP from Bihar attacked him for his remarks on August 31 that he would brand Biharis as infiltrators and make them leave Maharashtra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly