Shutdown cripples life in Darjeeling for sixth day
Darjeeling: GJM activists protesting the
police firing in Sipchu Monday courted arrest at Kalimpong, Kurseong and Mirik police stations of the district even as the indefinite bandh called by the outfit entered the sixth day disrupting normal life.
Scores of GJM activists gathered before the police
stations as part of the programme protesting against the
Sipchu firing that has claimed three lives.
However, the number of those arrested or detained is
yet to be known.
Meanwhile Gorkha ex-servicemen, who were sent back from
the banks of Panchnoi river, barely 2 km from Siliguri
yesterday evening by the police, have been stopped again after
they gathered at the spot in the morning to resume their
Darjeeling to Siliguri padayatra, police said.
The police had yesterday searched the house of Gorkha
Vidyarthi Morcha secretary and the house of Keshabraj Pokhrel,
who was allegedly involved in the killing of erstwhile Akhil
Bharatiya Gorkha league Madan Tamang and is absconding since
Pokhrel was, however, not found during the search,
police said today.
The bandh has hit normal life with LPG, vegetables and
essential commodities becoming scarce. Vehicular traffic has
come to a standstill across the district and offices and
schools are closed.
Trouble broke out in Darjeeling following the death of
GJM supporters in police firing during a clash between the
women`s wing of the GJM and the police in Dooars on February
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!