Siachen row: Pak seeks amicable resolution of all issues with India
Islamabad: Pakistan on Monday called for the "amicable resolution" of all issues with India as their Defence Secretaries began talks to ease the military standoff on Siachen against the backdrop of calls to demilitarise the world`s highest battlefield.
During a meeting with an Indian delegation led by Defence Secretary Shashikant Sharma, Pakistan Defence Minister Naveed Qamar said it was in the interest of both countries to "seek the amicable resolution of all the outstanding issues, including Siachen, as it would tremendously contribute towards the peace and prosperity of the South Asian region".
Qamar discussed matters of bilateral interest during the meeting with the Indian side, officials said without giving details.
This was one of Qamar`s first meetings with a foreign delegation after he recently took over the portfolio as part of a minor reshuffle.
During preliminary discussions between the delegations led by Defence Secretary Sharma and his Pakistani counterpart Nargis Sethi, the two sides "explained their respective stances on the Siachen issue", an official statement said without providing details.
The talks were held in "a very pleasant and cordial atmosphere", the statement said.
The two sides will hold further discussions tomorrow and a joint statement will be issued at the concluding session.
Islamabad has stepped up calls to demilitarise the Siachen glacier in the wake of an avalanche that killed 139 people at a high-altitude Pakistan Army camp on April 7.
The two-day talks on the Siachen issue, part of the resumed dialogue process between India and Pakistan, are being held at the Defence Ministry in the garrison city of Rawalpindi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Twist in BMC poll results as BJP emerges as `largest party`
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway