Siachen row: Pak seeks amicable resolution of all issues with India
Islamabad: Pakistan on Monday called for the "amicable resolution" of all issues with India as their Defence Secretaries began talks to ease the military standoff on Siachen against the backdrop of calls to demilitarise the world`s highest battlefield.
During a meeting with an Indian delegation led by Defence Secretary Shashikant Sharma, Pakistan Defence Minister Naveed Qamar said it was in the interest of both countries to "seek the amicable resolution of all the outstanding issues, including Siachen, as it would tremendously contribute towards the peace and prosperity of the South Asian region".
Qamar discussed matters of bilateral interest during the meeting with the Indian side, officials said without giving details.
This was one of Qamar`s first meetings with a foreign delegation after he recently took over the portfolio as part of a minor reshuffle.
During preliminary discussions between the delegations led by Defence Secretary Sharma and his Pakistani counterpart Nargis Sethi, the two sides "explained their respective stances on the Siachen issue", an official statement said without providing details.
The talks were held in "a very pleasant and cordial atmosphere", the statement said.
The two sides will hold further discussions tomorrow and a joint statement will be issued at the concluding session.
Islamabad has stepped up calls to demilitarise the Siachen glacier in the wake of an avalanche that killed 139 people at a high-altitude Pakistan Army camp on April 7.
The two-day talks on the Siachen issue, part of the resumed dialogue process between India and Pakistan, are being held at the Defence Ministry in the garrison city of Rawalpindi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says