Sibal denies sending HRD rep to La Marts
Kolkata/New Delhi: A person claiming to
represent the Human Resources Development Ministry Wednesday
visited La Martinere for Boys in Kolkata in connection with
the suicide of a student who was caned by the principal but
HRD Minister Kapil Sibal denied having authorised anybody to
probe the death.
"I visited the school today on a fact-finding mission.
I spoke to the principal and the secretary of the school board
of governors. I have also sought a report from them," Ramesh
Bhattacharjee, a member of the HRD Ministry`s Department of
Secondary and Higher Secondary Education, said after his
visit to the prestigious school.
He said would also speak to the parents of Rouvanjit
Rawla, who committed suicide, to ascertain their views about
"I will submit a report to the ministry after talking
to all concerned," he said.
In Delhi, Sibal said he has not appointed any
committee in this regard.
"I have not appointed any committee nor have I
authorised anyone to probe the death of the student of La
Martinere school," Sibal said.
Bhattacharjee and Anthony Arun Biswas claimed to have
authorisation from Sibal to probe the Rawla suicide case.
When contacted, Biswas said that Sibal had made a call
to Bhattacharjee, who claims to be a member of the HRD
Ministry`s Department of Secondary and Higher Secondary
Education, and asked him to probe the matter.
"I have not spoken to anyone. This is absolutely
false," Sibal said when asked whether he had ordered any probe
into the issue.
Bhattacharjee could not be contacted for his comments
on Sibal`s remarks.
Biswas claimed that he is the chairman of a society,
All-India Minority and Weaker Sections Council which is
registered under the Societies Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Peter Mukerjea knew Sheena was Indrani's daughter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them