Sibal denies sending HRD rep to La Marts
Kolkata/New Delhi: A person claiming to
represent the Human Resources Development Ministry Wednesday
visited La Martinere for Boys in Kolkata in connection with
the suicide of a student who was caned by the principal but
HRD Minister Kapil Sibal denied having authorised anybody to
probe the death.
"I visited the school today on a fact-finding mission.
I spoke to the principal and the secretary of the school board
of governors. I have also sought a report from them," Ramesh
Bhattacharjee, a member of the HRD Ministry`s Department of
Secondary and Higher Secondary Education, said after his
visit to the prestigious school.
He said would also speak to the parents of Rouvanjit
Rawla, who committed suicide, to ascertain their views about
"I will submit a report to the ministry after talking
to all concerned," he said.
In Delhi, Sibal said he has not appointed any
committee in this regard.
"I have not appointed any committee nor have I
authorised anyone to probe the death of the student of La
Martinere school," Sibal said.
Bhattacharjee and Anthony Arun Biswas claimed to have
authorisation from Sibal to probe the Rawla suicide case.
When contacted, Biswas said that Sibal had made a call
to Bhattacharjee, who claims to be a member of the HRD
Ministry`s Department of Secondary and Higher Secondary
Education, and asked him to probe the matter.
"I have not spoken to anyone. This is absolutely
false," Sibal said when asked whether he had ordered any probe
into the issue.
Bhattacharjee could not be contacted for his comments
on Sibal`s remarks.
Biswas claimed that he is the chairman of a society,
All-India Minority and Weaker Sections Council which is
registered under the Societies Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani