Sibal getting Telecom portfolio "stop-gap" measure: DMK
New Delhi: DMK on Monday said party chief M Karunanidhi has not yet decided on a successor to A Raja, who resigned as Telecom Minister, and suggested that HRD Minister Kapil Sibal getting the portfolio as additional charge was a "stop-gap arrangement".
Senior party leader and former Union Minister T R Baalu,
who was reportedly in the race to fill the slot of Telecom
Minister, said it is the "prerogative of the Prime Minister to
allot a vacant portfolio" to any of his cabinet colleagues.
"No one has any say on the issue except the Prime
Minister. As such, our leader (M Karunanidhi) has not given
any name to succeed Raja to the Prime Minister," he told PTI
"It is 100 per cent the prerogative of the Prime Minister
to allot vacant portfolios. DMK has three cabinet slots in the
UPA government and with the exit of Raja, one slot is vacant,"
The DMK leader suggested that Sibal getting the Telecom
portfolio as additional charge was a "stop-gap arrangement".
"Our leader will take a decision on the successor after
consultations with senior party leaders and then convey the
name to the Prime Minister," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing