Sibal lauds media for Uttarakhand calamity coverage
New Delhi: Union Minister Kapil Sibal on Thursday praised the media for its constructive role and wide coverage of events unfolding in flood-affected Uttarakhand.
"I and on behalf of public at large would like to say that media`s role during the calamity has been very constructive. The way media presented the situation before public, the intensity of calamity, has brought together all citizens to help victims of this disaster," Sibal said while accepting a donation for relief works in Uttarakhand.
The Telecom Minister thanked the media for creating an environment that brought people forward to help the affected.
"I would like to thank media for showing images of the calamity which has touched people everywhere. People are coming forward to help victims. Amount donated by Barelvi saheb is in cash which I will get converted into draft and deposit it to the Prime Minister`s Relief fund," he said.
The donation of Rs 75,000 for Uttarakhand relief was handed by Urdu poet Wasim Barelvi from the amount that he received as part of his Life Time Achievement Award conferred by India Urdu Society in Qatar.
"I have never seen such horrific images like I`m seeing these days on television of Uttarakhand. It is duty of every individual to share the pain of people affected in Uttarakhand. I was in Qatar when this disaster occurred and then only decided to give half of the prize amount for relief of victims," Barelvi said.
Sibal, meanwhile, refused to comment on VIP visits and involvement of politics in relief works.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre